Apply online: www.gwrr.com/careers
Now hiring in Savannah and Garden City, GA for LOCAL railyard conductors!
The person in this position operates track switches, couples and uncouples cars, and performs other duties associated with the movement of trains, cars, and engines in rail yards and on the main railroad. He or she receives, relays, or acts upon oral, written, or radio instructions from the dispatcher, yardmaster, or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement, or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements; signals crew member(s) for movement of the engine or train using lantern, hand and/or flag signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, and back-up or set and release air brakes.
- Observes, interprets, and relays arm, lantern, or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train.
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports, switch lists (manually or with a computer), and fills out forms including train orders.
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Two years of work experience; and a Valid Drivers Licence
- Ability to work in a 24/7 work environment and in outdoor working conditions
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
Apply online www.gwrr.com/careers
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.