At the Georgia World Congress Center Authority (GWCCA), we are committed to creating a consistently compelling experience for every guest who walks onto our campus. At the Savannah Convention Center campus, we aim to be the event venue of choice, driving economic growth and showcasing the uniqueness of Savannah, Chatham County and the State of Georgia. It’s what sets us apart and what fuels our vision to be the premier event destination delivering exceptional service and creating memorable experiences.
Our team members, regardless of role or responsibility, are dedicated to bringing this commitment to life every day. If you are result-oriented, passionate about customer service, believe in teamwork, and possess an unwavering commitment to quality, then a career at GWCCA could be your calling. Are you ready to begin your Authority Life journey?
The Savannah Convention Center is currently seeking a Sous Chef to join our family! Be a part of our team of the 330,000 square foot Savannah Convention Center currently undergoing an expansion located directly across from historic Savannah and on the Savannah River. This position is second-in-command over the kitchen and is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in the kitchen. The ideal candidate will have a solid knowledge of food and beverage and a proven track record of Kitchen Management within the catering industry.
The ideal candidate is a transformational leader who drives innovation. Successful employees at the Georgia World Congress Center Authority embody our four core values - to be one, to be honest, to be stewards and to be dynamic.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all activities in the kitchen, including food preparation, production, management and training of kitchen staff Ensure efficient, cost-effective operation and profitability of food production through inventory management
- Supervise and inspect all preparation and cooking equipment on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept clean, sanitary, and in perfect operating order
- Ensure that food products, presentation, and plating are of the highest quality, and are prepared to serve in a timely manner
- Assume the role as Executive Chef in their absence
- Assure adherence to all standards of food quality, preparation, recipes, and presentation in conjunction with the specifications
- Monitor holding and storage operations, stocking and food rotation, and guarantee food service sanitation standards are met
- Assure kitchen personnel is trained in best cleanliness and sanitation practices
- Attend in-house event-related meetings and relay immediate changes within departments.
- All other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Advanced oral and written communication skills with the ability to converse clearly with managers, employees and guests.
- Strong orientation to customer service and embraces teamwork.
- Excellent organizational, planning and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong ability to effectively utilize computers and associated programs such as Excel.
- Ability to be creative with food presentations and maintain a quality product.
- Ability to bend, stand and stoop for long periods of time. Work long hours in hot conditions.
- Experience and ability to perform mathematical functions to meet business needs.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school or GED equivalent required, formal culinary training or associate degree in culinary arts strongly preferred
- Minimum 4 years cooking experience with banquet environment and experience in a culinary leadership role preferred
- ServSafe Food Handling Certification
All interested candidates should apply online at www.gwccajobs.com
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such does not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or on terms or conditions of employment because of race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, eligibility for military service, disability, or for any other illegal purpose.